Monday, January 31, 2011

Introduction Letter

My name is Emily Allen and I was born and raised in the beautiful North County of San Diego! I grew up in the Oceanside/Vista area where I attended a K-8 visual and performing arts school. I spent most of my childhood playing basketball year around which landed me at Carlsbad High School for their once competitive girls basketball program. I am now attending Cal State San Marcos on the six-year plan to hopefully earn a BA in Liberal Studies with a minor in math. In the future I plan to earn my credentials here at Cal State to become a teacher for either elementary or middle school students.

I first started working with technology at an early age. In elementary school we were taught the basics of using a computer, such as typing, which later progressed to learning different computer programs. In middle school, I was fortunate enough to be able to experience many different kinds of technology. I took a theater tech class, a film production class as well as a photography class. In college, last semester, I took an introduction course to computer science, which taught me a lot of cool new things about computers. Working with technology has always come very naturally to me, however, I personally find it extremely hard to keep up with the latest and greatest. When I was in high school my cell phone was so huge that kids would ask me why I brought my house phone with me to class! This past year I was donated an iPhone by my boyfriend, who I’m sure could no longer watch me walk around with a phone from the stone ages, and I can honestly say I don’t know how I ever survived without it. I love the convenience of today’s technology, but for the life of me I can’t seem to keep up with it!

The CSUSM/COE mission statement ensures me that I’m in the right place for what I would like to do in the future. I believe that education is a team effort and should be focused mainly on students.  The mission statement makes me excited for the journey of becoming an educator. I hope that one day I will be able to make a positive influence on children and the community by promoting the process of life-long learning! 

4 comments:

  1. Keep on going you will graduate in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily!

    I just got an upgraded cell phone this year too! A motivating factor in me getting a new phone was quite embarrassing. I was watching a TV show from 2003 and the main character was using my phone in the episode. My sister turned around to me and just started laughing! She said I was stuck in 2003.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Emily!

    I totally agree with you about how hard it is to keep up with technology. It seems like every year we have to keep upgrading our things to keep up with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete